Red Auerbach won eight consecutive NBA Championships coaching the Boston Celtics between 1959 and 1966.
It’s probably safe to say that this feat will never be matched in any of the major American sports leagues.
Over-all Red Auerbach coached Boston from 1950 to 1966 and won a total of nine championships over that span. Auerbach was obsessed with winning and was a master motivator, able to recognize talent and turn that talent into a “team”.
As part of our Basketball Coach Quotes Series, we bring you “Red Auerbach Quotes”.
When you’re done enjoying the following Red Auerbach quotes, you can visit our Great Basketball Quotes for hundreds of more basketball4 quotes.
Now, on to the Red Auerbach Quotes!
Red Auerbach Quotes
- “The only correct actions are those that demand no explanation and no apology.”
- “The best way to forget ones self is to look at the world with attention and love.”
- “An acre of performance is worth a whole world of promise.”
- “He who believes in nobody knows that he himself is not to be trusted.”
- “To a father, when a child dies, the future dies; to a child when a parent dies, the past dies.”
- “Just do what you do best.”
- “Most of your great coaches do some teaching and developing of players. Phil may be able to do it, but he hasn’t shown it. His teams have been ready-made.”
- “Natural abilities are like natural plants; they need pruning by study.”
- “Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.”
- “The commercial class has always mistrusted verbal brilliancy and wit, deeming such qualities, perhaps with some justice, frivolous and unprofitable.”
- “Phil is obviously a good coach. You don’t win that many games without being a damn good coach, … Remember one thing: He’s been very fortunate. He picks his spots. That’s all I can say.”
- “Basketball is like war in that offensive weapons are developed first, and it always takes a while for the defense to catch up.”