Bobby Knight Quotes
Bobby Knight is an extremely emotional basketball coach.
Knight has three NCAA championships to his credit(1976, 1981, 1987), one National Invitation Tournament championship (1979), and has led the U.S. Olympic basketball team to a gold medal (1984), which is collegiate basketball’s Triple Crown.
Bobby Knight also has brought 11 Big Ten Conference championships to Indiana while winning four National Coach of the Year Awards in 1975, 1976, 1987, and 1989.
While Knight has gotten himself in trouble over the years with his out-of-control behavior, he has also offered up some motivational sayings that are worth listening to.
As part of our Basketball Coach Quotes Series, we bring you “Bobby Knight Quotes”.
When you’re done enjoying the following Bobby Knight quotes, you can visit our Great Basketball Quotes for hundreds of more basketball quotes.
Now, on to the Bobby Knight Quotes!
Bobby Knight Quotes (1-5)
- “The will to succeed is important, but what’s more important is the will to prepare.”
- “As I’ve said, basketball has been, I think, a real cooperative venture. There have been a lot of people that have been involved in it: coaches, administrators – not recently – fans and nobody, nobody any more so than students over the years.”
- “You don’t play against opponents, you play against the game of basketball.”
- “I don’t have to wait until the next morning to regret something I did that was kinda dumb.”
- “Everyone wants to be on a winning team,but no one wants to come to practice.”
Bobby Knight Quotes (6-10)
- “Mental toughness is to physical as four is to one.”
- “I think that – not only do I have to change some things, I mean, I think I have to eliminate a thing or two. Not just change it, but I mean, just get rid of it.”
- “I don’t intend to retire.”
- “I had great kids and a great experience at West Point before I came here. I had great kids and a great experience at Indiana while I’ve been here.”
- “People change over the years, and that changes situations for good and for bad.”
Bobby Knight Quotes (11-13)
- “I remember games when we were trying to get back from having lost, or maybe we lost a couple of games and the students sensed that we needed something a little bit extra, and they gave it to us.”
- “I’ve never predicted anything. All I have ever said is, that we will do the very best we can.”
- “If I came in to recruit your son, I would tell you, your wife, and your son, that I will be the most demanding coach your son can play for.”